Homelessness Prevention

Worried about losing your home? We are here to help.

If you are struggling to stay in your home or are in a temporary living situation, there are multiple government programs available to help you pay rent, deposits, utilities, and more so that you can find and secure a new home or stay in your current home.  We can help

Step 1: Get a Referral

Gather as much documentation as possible – ID’s for all household members (including children), lease agreement, income documentation (i.e. pay stubs) for the past 2 months, and recent bills – then call Kern 211.

 Call 1-800-273-2275 from a landline or 2-1-1 from a mobile phone.

They will ask you a series of questions to determine that you may qualify for a housing assistance program.*  If you do not qualify for financial aid through Homelessness Prevention assistance, Kern 211 will try to refer you to other organizations which may be able to help.

Step 2: Work with a BHC Housing Navigator

A BHC Housing Navigator will call you to schedule an initial intake appointment.  Bring all of the documentation with you to this appointment as well.  Then, the Housing Navigator will work with you to develop a plan to resolve your housing crisis, which can include: housing search and placement assistance, landlord mediation services, and financial aid services.  Financial aid may include assistance with paying rental arrears, security deposits, rental assistance, and utility assistance.

A Housing Navigator can also help you secure required documentation, create budget/savings plans, and coordinate additional community referrals for other resources.

Don’t wait.  Call Kern 2-1-1 today!


*A referral DOES NOT GUARANTEE that you will receive assistance. Assistance MAY OR MAY NOT be provided depending upon household eligibility and availability of funding.  Financial assistance is based on meeting eligibility requirements and funding availability.  It is distributed on a first-come, first-served basis.